I had the privelege of watching both Bryce Alford and Cullen Neal play 20 games this summer at the highles tlevel of the AAU circuit. There were only a handful of backcourts across the country that could be mentioned in the same breath as them. Both are unique in that their fathers were great players. Indiana’s Steve Alford is a legend, and Craig “Noodles” Neal was a great player at Georgia Tech at one time holding the ACC assists record.
Both players have deep range and a SWAGGER that is real and not contrived. I’ll be shocked if they do not have great college careers and beyond. The State of New Mexico should be proud of the way thes etwo youmg men carry themselves on and off the court. My New Mexco Co-Players of the year.-Max Ivany
|6. DJ Blackmon 6’3 SG Clovis (Clovis NM)
DJ Blackmon is the sleeper of the 2013 class. He is very athletic and a solid 3 point shooter. He was 13-18 from 3’s in the Fab 48 (Las Vegas) He has had to play inside in high school and AAU until this year. Thus, he is strong around the basket offensively and defensively. He is a great student/athlete with a 4.0 GPA. Ray Allen of the Miami Heat is his first cousin.7. Mike Torrez 6’6 W Rio Grande (Albuquerque NM)
Mike is getting better every time he hits the court. He is a deadly 3 point shooter. He attacks the basket strong and a good defender. He is getting a lot of D2 and NAIA interest. He has the potential to be a low-mid D1 player. He was clearly the top performer in the Class of 2013 at this past weekend’s I-25 New Mexico Challenge.
8. Dane Pannell 6’2 CG Hobbs (Hobbs NM)
10. Jimmy Coleman 6’3” G Tularosa (Tularosa, NM) Jimmy is a multi-sport athlete who has already committed to New Mexico State. He could be ranked higher but plays at a 2A school and has not played AAU in the last 2 years.
11. Brandon Saiz 5’10” G Bernalillo ( Bernalillo NM) Brandon is a 1st team 4A player who led 4A last year with 23 points per game. Brandon is effective is an up tempo game. When Brandon gets hot, he can score in bunches.
12. Trevor Noel 6’6” PF Las Cruces (Las Cruces, NM) Trevor is good post player who can run the floor. A 3 year starter has a lot upside. He can hit the 15 foot shot. and competes hard.
13. Ross Buchman 6’6 PF Cibola (Albuquerque NM)
14. Kai Williams 6’4 SF Las Cruces (Las Cruces NM)
15. Jacob Armijo 6’1” G Piedra Vista (Farmington NM) Jacob is a two sport athlete (football – WR) . He is very deceptive player who always plays hard and when you look in the scorebook will see 18+ points per game. He is a great teammate and will play at the next level
16 Joe Garza 6’0” PG Las Cruces (Las Cruces) Joe is hard nosed point guard and great floor leader. He is another player that is untested but will definitely play at a D2 or NAIA level.
|17. Preston Bungei 6’4 SG Cibola (Albuquerque NM)
He is an up and coming player, a late bloomer who is going to surprise people this year. He can shoot 3s and is becoming effective at being able to put the ball on the floor, getting to the basket. He is a good defender with a long wing span.18. Ben Romero 5’9 PG Los Lunas (Los Lunas NM)
Ben is a solid point guard. He will score in double figures. He is a coach on the floor.
19. Nic Stafford 6’3 SF St. Pius X (Albuquerque NM)
20 Wyatt Honstein 6’2” G Santa Fe (Santa Fe, NM) Wyatt is a good 3 point shooter. He has a strong basketball IQ,
20 Matthew Barrela 6’3” G Santa Fe St. Michael’s (NM)
Barrela was unselfish and did a lot of the little things well. Capable of double double type of numbers. He’s an excellent NAIA/D2 type of prospect
Other Players to keep a watch: Mikey Lopez 6’3” Capital (Santa Fe, NM) ; Josh Sanchez 6’7” Cibola; Malik Sims 5’9” AHS; Josh Lucero 5’11 Rio Rancho; l 6’7” Las Cruces; Taylor Barney 6’5” Cibola; John Crosdale 6’7” AHS; Devon Tourlottit 6’7”– Mesilla Valley; Andres Rivera 5’11” Bosque School, Micah Sanchez 5’10” St. Pius X (Albuquerque, NM), Johnny Doran 5’10” Sandia Prep, (Albuquerque, NM), Ben Altamariano 5’11” St. Pius X (Albuquerque, NM).